Applications for Summer 2018 are now open!
The Summer Humanities Institute has two application deadlines:
- Early admissions: January 31, 2018
- Regular admissions: February 28, 2018
- Rolling admissions: After February 28 until the program is full
Complete applications received after the Regular admissions deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions in the program are filled.
Applicants may indicate multiple course preferences, and will be reviewed for admissions to each course separately, in order of the applicant’s course preferences.
There are two steps to completing our application
Step 1: Preliminary Application
To begin the application process, you must submit a Preliminary Application. The Preliminary Application creates an applicant profile for the coming summer, which includes basic demographic and contact information as well as preliminary course preferences. Applicants who have applied for other Stanford Pre-Collegiate programs (Summer Institutes, Summer Arts Institute, and other Stanford Pre-Collegiate programs) and have a Stanford Pre-Collegiate Student Number should be sure to log in as an existing user.
Step 2: Online Application
Once you have submitted the Preliminary Application, you will be sent an email that directs you to log in to your Online Application. The Online Application consists of:
- $50 application fee – This fee can be paid online using a credit card. Instructions for payment can be found at the end of the Online Application. This fee is waived for students who submit complete applications by the Early Admissions deadline.
- Work samples – All courses require a writing sample. Those with previous experience in the arts may also provide additional materials, such as samples of artwork, audio or video recordings, compositions, etc.
- A school transcript or grade report – Unofficial transcripts and copies are acceptable. Please provide at least two years' worth of grades. Allowed file types: PDF, JPG, TIF, GIF, and PNG. If you have multiple transcripts, combine them into a single file for upload, with your most recent transcript first.
- Teacher recommendation – On the Online Application, you will be able to request a recommendation from one or more teachers qualified to comment on your performance and ability in subject area(s) related to Summer Arts Institute courses you are applying for. You may submit more than one recommendation form request. Required information: teacher’s full name, school name, subjects taught, email address, phone number, and the application deadline for each recommendation request.
- Recent standardized exam score report – Any standardized exam administered at the international, national, or state level is acceptable. A standardized exam is an externally administered test which provides both a score report as well as an evaluation of the score relative to other test takers. While any standardized test score is acceptable, applicants who have recently taken the ACT, PSAT, SAT, or TOEFL should submit their results with application materials. Allowed file types: PDF, JPG, TIF, GIF, and PNG.
- Your course preferences – Be sure to review all the course descriptions before making your final course selections. You can apply to one or more courses offered, but should only apply to courses you are interested in attending.
- Your responses to a number of short-answer questions about your interests in the program, the courses to which you are applying, and your motivations for participating in the Summer Humanities Institute.
Admission to the Summer Humanities Institute is need-blind, meaning that all complete applications are given full consideration regardless of the applicant's income. There is limited financial aid available for the Summer Humanities Institute once students are admitted to the program. This aid will be offered in the form of partial and full scholarships. Aid is granted based upon need, as well as other factors including merit. Members of traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Students who wish to be considered for financial aid must fill out and submit the Financial Aid Application and supporting documentation along with their complete application for admission to the program. Only complete Financial Aid applications will be considered for aid.
Applications will be reviewed by Summer Humanities Institute staff. The Admissions Committee evaluates each applicant holistically, taking into consideration not only grades and test scores, but also students’ unique experiences together with their passion for learning.
If offered admission, an applicant is admitted into one course determined to be the best fit, taking into consideration applicant course preferences and overall suitability for the course. Students may attend only one session of the Summer Humanities Institute.
Notification of Admissions Decision
Once an application is complete, the applicant will be notified of his or her admissions decision approximately one month after the stated deadline.
Once an offer of admission is accepted, a $500 deposit is due one week after notifications are sent. The tuition balance is due two weeks after that. Students who apply for financial aid will receive notification of their award amount, if any, with their admissions decision.
Join Our Mailing List
Sign up to stay informed about our program.